Saturday, April 19, 2014

Eating away from home

With it being Easter weekend, I assume many people are traveling.  When I travel, I always feel like I need to pack snacks.  Most people do not eat like me.  I absolutely refuse to eat at a fast food restaurant.  I would rather go hungry than put that junk into my body.  So, I make sure I pack snacks.  I can't always control where everyone wants to eat, but I can control what I choose to eat.  Of course, the people I travel with know how I eat, so they try to take it into account, but honestly, it doesn't always work out in my favor.  Even the restaurants we go to don't have good choices.  Has anyone ever been to a southern restaurant in a little town?? There is literally NOTHING there I like to eat.  It all tastes so good, but my body is not used to have so much grease that I leave feeling sick.  Their vegetables are cooked with lots of fat and most are starchy. Not really easy to have a healthy meal that way.  And the salad bar!? Only iceberg lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, and cucumbers.  The rest is cheese, croutons, crackers, fake bacon, "salads" covered in mayo, and creamy dressings.  Its pretty much a lose lose situation!

For my snacks this trip, I packed apples, bananas, homemade granola (yum), prunes (my favorite since I was a kid), almonds and peanuts (unsalted), and some snap pea crisps.  Someone I know says this is bird food.  How could they!? 



The snap pea crisps are something new I have seen in the store.  I'm not exactly sure how good they are for you, but I know they are much better than chips! They taste really good too.  When I pack my snacks, I know I at least have some good food I can eat.

Even at home, I try to only keep healthy snacks in the house. I think if you are going to eat, it should nourish your body.  Candy and crackers may taste good, but they are not doing anything to benefit your body.  And since most are made out of white flour and sugar, you will be hungry just a few minutes later and craving more.



-- Lucy

No comments:

Post a Comment